Ideas for Practicing Spelling Words
1. ABC Order: Write all of your spelling words in alphabetical (ABC) order.
2. Word Parts: Write your words. Then use a colored pencil to divide the words into syllables.
3. Write each word 5 times each. Say the word as you spell it.
4. Silly Sentences: Write 3 or more sentences that use all your spelling words.
5. Picture words: Draw a picture and hide your spelling words in the picture.
6. Shape Words
s p e
s p e l
s p e l l
s p e l l i
s p e l l i n
s p e l l i n g
(or make them boat shaped, wagon shaped, smiley face, etc.)
7. Rainbow Words: Write your spelling words with colored pencils. Make each letter a different color.
8. Scrambled Words: Write your words. Then write them again with the letters mixed up. (Try giving it to a friend to see if he or she can figure them out)
9. Vowel Spotlight: Write your words using one color for the vowels and another color for the consonants. (vowels: a, e, i, o, u)
10. Scrabble: Write spelling words crisscross using a common letter.
11. Word Search: Create your own word search with your spelling. Show the answers to your puzzle. T
12. Write a Story, Poem or Song with Words: Write a story using all your spelling words. Underline the words you used.
13. Crossword Puzzle: Make a crossword puzzle with your spelling. Show the answers to your puzzle.
14. Use Technology: Type out your spelling words (and definitions) on the computer.
15. Visit www.spellingcity.com: Type your spelling words and choose a free activity to complete.
16. Question/Answers: Write questions with half of your spelling words. Then use the other half to answer the questions. Underline the words you used.